Tourism Ireland announces €18M/£14M Autumn Campaign
Today Tourism Ireland has announced an €18M/£14M Autumn Campaign in overseas markets. The objective is to promote the great things to do and see and industry value offers to millions of would-be holidaymakers.
Up to 30% of overseas visits are recorded between September and December each year. Tourism Ireland will be working with groups like the Irish Hotels Federation, the Northern Ireland Hotels Federation, the Irish Tour Operators Association and other industry bodies to deliver a strong, concerted message to consumers, trade and media overseas. The campaign is about winning business this autumn as well as giving the island of Ireland a significant push as we head into 2010.
Later this autumn, we will be announcing additional action plans arising from our strategic reviews in Great Britain and Germany – key markets for the current and future development of tourism to the island of Ireland.
Other highlights this autumn include:
• Over 11.5 million consumers will receive offers over the next two weekends promoting Dublin, Belfast, Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Londonderry for city breaks. The information will appear in top national and regional newspapers like The Observer, The Guardian and The Sunday Times, the Mail on Sunday and Scotland on Sunday. The inserts will promote special air and sea fares, great value industry offers as well as news of what’s on and what’s good to do and see in each area.
• Over 3.2 million consumers have just received industry offers, access fares and information on touring relevant to their interests and location through targeted direct marketing on and offline, with the invitation “This autumn, Go Where Ireland Takes You”.
• Almost 7 million GB radio listeners will hear news of the island of Ireland and great value offers in a campaign running until mid October on top commercial stations, Classic FM, Magic and Heart.
• Tourism Ireland will also co-host two Coach Workshops and familiarisation trips this September, in Belfast and Shannon, bringing top GB Coach operators face-to-face with island of Ireland industry partners.
• Almost 14.4 million GB consumers will also see price-led advertising for the island of Ireland online, in national and regional newspapers, travel supplements and key lifestyle publications.
• Island of Ireland Industry will hit the promotional trail in North America this autumn at Tourism Ireland’s ‘Flavors of Ireland’ trade events in Los Angeles and
• Tourism Ireland and industry partners will also attend the hugely influential American Association of Retired People Show in Las Vegas - the AARP is the leading membership organisation in the US for the island of Ireland’s best prospects, people aged 50+.
• Cooperative campaigns with all five leading air carriers will also promote the value message in key US gateways, highlighting great fares alongside partner packages and holiday offers.
• Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social networking sites will also be employed to spread the “Wish you were there?” message, inviting consumers to insert photographs of themselves and build a virtual holiday album of visits to some of island’s top tourist attractions.
• The Travel Channel, National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting Service of America are just some of the influential US broadcasters who will visit the island of Ireland this autumn to record events-related programmes for later this year and next. Up to 40 US media will also visit this autumn on familiarisation trips covering all parts of the island.
• Sixty-six top US Ensemble, Virtuoso and Signature travel agents will participate in our co-hosted Destination Expo Workshop and familiarisation trip this September – to meet with industry partners here.
• High profile events in-market will also help get the island of Ireland message to US consumers. Tourism Ireland is sponsoring Celtic Thunder’s 30-date nationwide autumn tour, the first Origin Irish Theatre Festival in New York, and will join with the Irish American Historical Society to launch the Francis Bacon Centenary Exhibition.
• Over 100 million NA consumers will be targeted in a six-week price-led advertising campaign in key gateway cities. It will feature partner offers and deliver a strong value message through online channels and on CBS TV, around the US Open Tennis coverage, on radio and in top travel and lifestyle magazines.
• Pan-European campaigns on Expedia.com (market leader in France, Germany and Italy) and Hotels.com will feature a special island of Ireland microsite and promotional pages with travel offers across 7 markets in September and October. 131 hotel and tourist attraction partners across the island will be featured.
• In addition, 3 million European Expedia and Hotels.com users will receive a newsletter exclusively on autumn breaks and value offers to the island of Ireland.
• The DERTOUR Reiseakademie, Germany’s most prestigious travel trade training event, takes place in Killarney over three weeks in November. Many of the 750 travel agents taking part will also participate in pre and post familiarisation tours across the island.
• Short breaks campaigns with value messages will also run in the seven major European markets, with focus on cities with direct access to the island of Ireland.
• Cooperative marketing campaigns with carriers will also run in European markets, particularly in France, Spain and Italy with Aer Lingus and Ryanair and in Denmark, Norway and southern Sweden to promote the newly launched Norwegian Oslo/Dublin and Copenhagen/Dublin services.
• Tourism Ireland’s “Go” films – which have already been viewed by over 500,000 people worldwide – will be emailed to consumers in France and Italy this autumn. Activating the videos will lead consumers to a dedicated page of special offers from industry partners in the relevant region.
New & Developing Markets
• Cooperative marketing is planned this autumn with top tour operators and carriers. In Australia, cooperative marketing is under way with a range of partners including Virgin and Guinness while a joint print and TV advertising campaign is planned with Flight Centre. Cooperative marketing will also take place in India with partners including Cosmos, Globus, DUI and Cox and Kings; in China with Air China and HuaYuan Travel and in Japan with TripAdviser.
• Eleven island of Ireland industry partners are participating in next week’s India mission to Mumbai, Bangalore and Dehli in conjunction with Visit Britain. Relevant country club members are also participating in the Business Tourism promotion, CIBTM, in Beijing and at the JATA World Travel Fair in Tokyo.
• Also in India, media promotions are under way with Star News TV, while Bollywood star, Katrina Kaif, will feature on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar promoting a 6-page feature on the island of Ireland.
• Japan’s most influential study abroad magazine, Anokuni, will feature 8 pages on the island of Ireland in October.
Markets across the world are highlighting Arthur’s Day – the 250th Anniversary of Guinness – through imaginative programmes, competitions and communications aimed at consumers, trade and media contacts.
Culture Night, Friday 25 September, is also included in publicity programmes across markets. It has featured in ezines, newsletters and briefings to market-based media and will be included on the itineraries of all visiting media at that time.
|Click here for more information on the Autumn Campaign|