Making the Most of St. Patrick’s Day
Dear Industry Colleague,
This year has seen the largest ever Saint Patrick’s Day tourism promotion overseas.
Thanks to all of our partners who participated with us.
- Iconic buildings around the world turning green – the London Eye, Big Ben, Sky Tower Auckland, Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building and the CN Tower in Toronto.
- Tourism Ireland presenting British Prime Minister Gordon Brown with a copy of the “The Country Cooking of Ireland” – a collection of artisan cooking experiences from around the island of Ireland.
- Promotions in nine major British train stations, and at Cheltenham, where industry partners helped demonstrate a real island of Ireland welcome to well over 100,000 potential visitors while giving them great holiday offers and information on the new free rail initiative for the over 66s.
- Online and social media were exploited to the full. Over 100,000 people from around the world visited our website on St Patrick’s Day.
- Fans on our social media sites increased by over 50% in the run up to St Patrick’s Day and we also acquired over 10,000 new Facebook fans in Britain.
- Across the globe, events were held in 26 cities, to deliver the message that now is a better time than any to visit the island of Ireland.
I appreciate that things remain very challenging for tourism businesses across the island. I assure you that Tourism Ireland teams will continue to be out there fighting for business in the weeks and months ahead.
Click here to sample St Patrick’s Day 2010 promotions across the world