Blazing a trail overseas for Northern Ireland
Rory’s roar for golf tourism
Tourism Ireland will launch a ‘Major’ golf tourism campaign to capitalise on Rory McIlroy’s historic US Open victory at Congressional. There has been huge international media interest in Rory’s victory, with around 34,000 articles appearing in more than 100 countries in the nine days after the competition. 18,000 articles appeared in the US alone, reaching millions of Americans. Tourism Ireland is stepping up its golf promotional programme to maximise the benefits for Northern Ireland of this fantastic achievement.
Titanic and more…
With the countdown to 2012 well under way, Tourism Ireland has an extensive series of promotions and events rolling out to keep Northern Ireland and our Titanic story in the international spotlight. Over 350 million potential visitors around the world will see these campaigns which are designed to encourage them to come and see where it all began.
We were delighted to have over 40 top journalists and broadcasters from all over the world in Belfast for the May 31 anniversary. They enjoyed a sneak preview of the iconic Titanic Belfast building and the terrific new TITANICa exhibition at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. Excellent publicity has already appeared in the New York Times, on Spanish television and in the Daily Mail.
Belfast – 'Home to Titanic' online campaign
easyJet and Tourism Ireland are promoting ‘Belfast - Home to the Titanic’ in European markets. Online advertising, e-newsletters and competitions encourage visits to Belfast. The campaign harnesses Tourism Ireland's Facebook fanbase updating them on Titanic, Belfast and Northern Ireland.
Sir Ranulph Fiennes supports Titanic promotion in GB
Adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes, whose cousin sailed on Titanic, is lending his support to our £1M Titanic campaign in GB through a series of radio interviews which will reach more than 27 million people over the coming months.
On the web
Online advertising: our online advertising campaign around the centenary of the ship's launch reached over 100 million potential holidaymakers globally.
www.the-titanic.com – is capitalising on the huge global interest in Titanic and helping Tourism Ireland to build awareness of the link between the famous ship, Belfast and Northern Ireland. Central to the site is a series of short films on Titanic, which are being released each month during 2011 and 2012, and have already been viewed by over 100,000 people around the world.
Tourism Ireland’s Titanic programme will continue through 2011 and 2012 and will reach 350 million people around the world this year.
Northern Ireland – advertised to millions across the world:
TV, radio, print and online advertising continues to bring the Northern Ireland holiday experience to life for potential visitors:
• 17 million potential GB visitors are seeing Tourism Ireland’s TV advertising for Northern Ireland on ITV, Channel 4 and other stations.
• In Europe, almost 40 million potential French and German visitors have also seen advertising for Northern Ireland on their TV screens this spring.
• In the US, Northern Ireland featured on radio in key gateway cities including Los Angeles, New York and Boston and print advertising could reach over 10 million potential holidaymakers.
• The “Come Home to Northern Ireland this Year ” campaign will reach a further 3 million people in the southern states of the US.
• Earlier in the year, campaigns for Belfast City of Music ran in GB.
Over £40M in Positive Publicity:
Tourism Ireland will generate positive publicity for Northern Ireland overseas this year, worth an estimated £40 million in advertising equivalent terms.
• Over 100,000 readers of Germany’s Merian magazine carried double-page spreads on Belfast, Londonderry, the Causeway Coast and Co Antrim.
• Over 700,000 Canadians read about Northern Ireland in special features in the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail.
• Tourism Ireland sponsored The Shore, a 30-minute film by award-winning director Terry George, which shows the new, modern Belfast and the beautiful Co Down coastline.
Working with Northern Ireland air and sea carriers:
Co-operative marketing with air and sea carriers continues to highlight good value and ease of access. Recent examples include:
• Tourism Ireland/Aer Lingus advertising ran in prominent GB newspapers like the Evening Standard, the Daily Telegraph, The Times and the Daily Mail and on radio stations Capital FM, Magic 105.4, Heart and Eagle.
• Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013 was celebrated in Tourism Ireland/Ryanair ads in the spring.
• The new bmibaby London Stansted/George Best Belfast City airport services were promoted through press and railway station advertising.
• Stena Line services were promoted in the Daily Record, Mail on Sunday, Daily Mail, Scotland on Sunday and in the Irish Post, and on TV channels STV and Border.
Driving the golf message home:
• Hasting Hotels and Lough Erne Golf Resort joined Tourism Ireland at the PGA Golf Merchandise Show in Orlando, Florida, and were delighted to welcome Graeme McDowell to the stand.
• Campaigns in the US have run in magazines like Golfweek and on golfchannel.com as well as at the US Masters in Augusta.
• Over 3 million CBS viewers have seen Lough Erne Golf Resort as part of a TV preview on the Solheim Cup.
• Tourism Ireland is maximising publicity in Europe around the announcement of North & West Coast Links Golf as ‘European Golf Destination of the Year 2011’.
• ‘Time to Play’ is the headline in GB for press, online and radio advertising and direct marketing, in support of co-operative campaigns with golf tour operators.
Promoting Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013:
• Plans are in place to capitalise on the designation of Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013 with a programme of travel trade and media familiarisation visits in the pipeline. Co-operative adverts with Ryanair also ran during March and May in the GB market.
• Northern Ireland was prominently represented at some key specialist garden promotions overseas including the Philadelphia Flower Show, the largest indoor flower show in the US, and Canada Blooms, Canada's largest and longest-running consumer show. Tourism Ireland is also partnering with Garden Roadshows to promote at flower shows in Harrogate, Southend, Edinburgh and Gateshead.
• A group of German gardening and travel journalists visited some of Northern Ireland’s top gardens in late May including those at Rowallane, Mount Stewart, Glenarm Castle, Benvarden; and also attended the Garden Show in Hillsborough.
Starting orders for NW200:
Tourism Ireland’s support for the NW200 continued:
• 60,000 copies of a new NW200 flyer, produced by Tourism Ireland in association with Causeway Coast & Glens and Nutt Travel, were distributed with Motorcycle News.
• Toye Story: Californian bike ace and Macau star, Jeremy Toye, made his first visit to the NW200 with assistance from Tourism Ireland.
• Six German motorcycle journalists toured Northern Ireland in May and also caught up with the action at this year’s NW200.
5M Europeans see ‘Northern Ireland Road Trip of your Life’:
• Up to 5 million Europeans across seven markets – the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Denmark and Spain – have seen our ‘Northern Ireland Road Trip of your Life’ featuring the journey from Belfast, along the Causeway Coastal Route to Londonderry. The promotion featured prominently on the easyJet website in those markets which all have direct flights to Belfast. Budget car hire supported the promotion with special rates and over 80 industry partners also provided special offers for Tourism Ireland websites and e-newsletters.
• Popular German blogger, Kai Müller, visited Northern Ireland recently as a guest of Tourism Ireland to report on his experience to up to 20,000 Facebook fans and almost 6,000 Twitter followers. While here, he completed a series of fun tasks and activities around Northern Ireland which were selected by his German fans.
Showcasing Northern Ireland to the overseas travel trade:
• 86 tour operators from around the world were flown in by Tourism Ireland to attend this year’s Meet the Buyer event in Enniskillen. Fantastic weather, a busy schedule of appointments with excellent participation by the Northern Ireland industry and an interesting programme of fam trips around Northern Ireland made for a very successful showcase event.
More industry partners go overseas:
25 Northern Ireland industry partners have travelled to overseas promotions with Tourism Ireland so far this year, including to:
• Celtic Connections, the world’s largest traditional and roots music festival in Glasgow.
• Northern Ireland roadshows in Glasgow and Manchester which targeted some of Scotland’s top tour operators, travel media and consumers in a series of sales calls and promotions.
• The ‘Best of Britain & Ireland’ (BoBI) travel trade exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham which attracts influential coach and group tour operators. NI partners included Belfast Visitor & Convention Bureau, Causeway Coast & Glens, Belleek Pottery, Fermanagh Lakeland Tourism, National Museums Northern Ireland and Andras House Group.
• In Europe, Northern Ireland was represented at BIT Milan, ITB Berlin, MAP in Paris, CMT Stuttgart and Mahana Lyon.
• In the US, NI partners participated at the PGA Golf Merchandise Show Orlando, Philadelphia Flower Show, Experience a Flavor of Ireland Chicago/Boston, Canada Blooms and the Toronto Star Golf and Travel Show.
There will be many other marketing opportunities for the industry later in the year. Contact Geraldine Egan at email@example.com for more details or click on the industry opportunities website.